Carpet adds a layer of comfort to any home. The numerous options available when it comes to carpet make it easy to find a style that match the atmosphere and look of your home. Keeping your carpet clean is very important to the overall look and cleanliness of your home.
Maintaining your carpet regularly is easy to do. Here are some basic tips that can be applied as needed:
- Vacuum every few days to prevent dirt from settling in. Be sure to choose the right kind of vacuum for your style of carpet.
- Never pull on snags or uneven carpet fibers. Doing so can cause damage to the carpet. Scissors are best used for clipping.
- Dents from furniture is a common occurrence. To bring your carpet back to life, use the edge of a coin to fluff the carpet back out.
For spot and stain removal, here are some tried and proven techniques:
- No matter what was spilled, immediately begin work to remove it. The longer a stain sets, the harder it will be to remove it.
- For spilled food: first remove as much solid material as possible. A spoon or dull knife works great for gently scraping up excess food. Next, add some water to the area and blot up as much as you can. Finally, vacuum the area from all angles until the area is clean. Be sure to use the highest setting for the most powerful suction.
- If you are using a carpet cleaning detergent, always spot check in a hidden area of the carpet. This should be done just in case discoloration happens.
- If all else fails, some stains may be lifted with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Use sparingly on a stain, let sit for an hour and then blot with a moist rag until clean.
Take care of your carpet and it will stay in good condition for a long time! Be sure get your carpet professionally cleaned every 12-18 months.
You will want to reference your Shaw Residential Warranty for specific care requirements.