Before installation begins, you must let the planks or tiles acclimate for 3 to 5 days. Keep in mind that any wood shrinks and expands to adjust to the weather. Acclimation lets them get used to the weather conditions in that room, so this step shouldn't be skipped.
When it's time to install, we remove moldings and baseboards and measure. No room is a perfect square, so it's necessary to take into account door sills, closets, etc.
If the subfloor needs leveling, we sand it and fill any gaps. We’ll also take a moisture meter reading.
When everything’s ready, we place the moisture barrier over the subfloor and then proceed with the installation. You’ll have a great installation, but we take it even further by giving you tips on maintenance. With proper care, these floors can last over 20 years.
For more information on a cork flooring installation or any of our other products or services, visit the Galaxie Floor Stores showroom
in any of our two locations: Bloomington or Apple Valley, MN. We service the Minneapolis area; including Apple Valley, Bloomington, Burnsville, and Eagan. We provide a free in-home measuring and ask about our design consultations.
Cork floors, which have been used in Europe for centuries, is now gaining popularity in the United States.
Known for its durability, resilience, and versatility, cork is now widely acknowledged for its eco-friendliness. Cork oak lives for more than 200 hundred years. It is harvested by hand and no trees are destroyed in the process.
The benefits of cork flooring include:
- Easy installation. Cork flooring is eco-engineered. It can easily be installed over any floor type, including tiles. It does not require any glues, nails or chemicals for its installation.
- Reduced noise transfer. Cork has intrinsic acoustic properties, which allows it to muffle sound. This is especially useful in apartments when the transfer of noise between floors is minimized.
- Insulation properties. Cork flooring features a cushioned surface and due to its inherent insulation properties, it helps cut down on heating and cooling expenses.
- Health benefits. Cork is hypo-allergenic and prevents the growth of mold and mildew due to its antistatic properties. It does not shed fibers or produce toxins.
- Usefulness in the kitchen. Cork can be a boon in the kitchen thanks to its fire-resistance and flame-retardant properties. Additionally, the cushioning and elasticity provided by cork flooring can prevent the shattering of utensils.
- Mechanical properties. Cork is easily pliable but scratch resistant. It can last for more than a decade with minimal or no maintenance.
- Resistant to penetration of liquids. This quality makes it ideal for bathroom flooring. In fact, that is the reason why cork oak is used for making wine bottle stoppers.
- Aesthetic properties. Cork flooring is known for its mottled appearance and its ability to stand out. Available in a wide range of patterns and colors, it can blend in with essentially any style of interior home or office design.
If you are interested in buying new cork flooring, contact the Minneapolis – St. Paul flooring professionals at Galaxie Floor Stores. Stop by one of our Twin Cities showrooms, contact us online or call us at (952) 881-5825
. We look forward to hearing from you!